Cool Ideas for Backyard Retreats and Playhouses
Categories: Homes / Dwellings
When Summer comes around, the outdoors will be beckoning. What better way to enhance outdoor living than with a cool new structure in the backyard? Whether you dream of lounging in a hammock in your own bugproof pavilion, hosting friends for the weekend in a revamped vintage Airstream or getting away from it all in a rustic writer’s cabin, these ideas for outbuildings are here to get your creative wheels turning. Just imagine the possibilities.
1. Screened pavilion. Even better than a screened-in porch, a screened pavilion is like having a summer house in your backyard. String up a hammock and put a game table inside, and relax all evening, immersed in the ambience of the summer night … without bug bites.
2. Airstream. What could be more classic than the iconic silver bullet that is the Airstream trailer? Spruce up a vintage model and use it as a guesthouse for visiting family and friends.
3. Winged cabin. It’s clear why this structure is called Hawk House — it looks like it’s ready to take flight. Part rustic cabin, part modern innovation, this little shed would make a fabulous writer’s retreat or guest quarters.
4. Japanese teahouse. Hidden in a far corner of the garden, nestled among trees, a traditional Japanese-style teahouse would make a restorative retreat for meditation and, of course, tea — with or without the ceremony.
5. Getaway with a deck. A one-room modern structure perched on a steep lot turns what would have been virtually unusable space into a welcome refuge from daily life. Use it to house guests or simply to feel like you’re getting away from it all without leaving home.