Tesla Battery To Power Your Home, Completely Off Grid – Coming To Australia In 2015
The Powerwall, launched in May by Tesla founder Elon Musk, is basically a storage system for energy that aims to allow users to be less dependent on the electrical grid. “Our goal is to fundamentally change the way the world uses energy,” Musk said at the time. “It sounds crazy, but we want to change the entire energy infrastructure of the world to zero carbon.”
The battery unit itself contains the same batteries present in the Tesla electric cars. The 7kWh unit will ship for $3,000, while the 10kWh unit will go for $3,500 (get the big one). They will store electricity from the grid or from solar and wind generators on site and if the grid goes down, they will continue to power your home indefinitely This feature makes them ideal for developing nations that are leap-frogging power grids completely.
The wall mountable home batteries will begin shipping over the summer of 2015, And Australia will be first!
Here is a clip from the initial release
There are more than 1.3m households in Australia with rooftop solar, with the number increasing rapidly as the price of PV systems tumble. State-based tariffs have been gradually withdrawn across the country, while the federal government announced in July that it would instruct the Clean Energy Finance Corporation to favour large-scale solar over rooftop solar in its funding decisions.
Powerwall comes in 10 kWh weekly cycle and 7 kWh daily cycle models. Both are guaranteed for ten years and are sufficient to power most homes during peak evening hours. Multiple batteries may be installed together for homes with greater energy need, up to 90 kWh total for the 10 kWh battery and 63 kWh total for the 7 kWh battery.”
- TechnologyWall mounted, rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control.
- Models10 kWh $3,500For backup applications7 kWh $3,000For daily cycle applications
- Warranty10 years
- Efficiency92% round-trip DC efficiency
- Power2.0 kW continuous, 3.3 kW peak
- Voltage350 – 450 volts
- Current5.8 amp nominal, 8.6 amp peak output
- CompatibilitySingle phase and three phase utility grid compatible.
- Operating Temperature-4°F to 110°F / -20°C to 43°C
- EnclosureRated for indoor and outdoor installation.
- InstallationRequires installation by a trained electrician. DC-AC inverter not included.
- Weight220 lbs / 100 kg
- Dimensions51.2″ x 33.9″ x 7.1″
1300 mm x 860 mm x 180 mm
- Certification NRTL listed to UL standards
- See more at: http://www.the-open-mind.com/tesla-battery-to-power-your-home-completely-off-grid-coming-to-australia-in-2015/#sthash.rQX5JF4o.Zq52pkz5.dpuf