Job Opportunity: Executive Director at West Kootenay EcoSociety
The West Kootenay EcoSociety protects the natural environment while building sustainable communities. Our programs:
- Preserve wild places, air and water for future generations
- Take action to reduce the crisis of climate change
- Promote sustainable local food systems
- Connect people with nature
The EcoSociety’s body of work demonstrates the natural creativity, intelligence, and generosity of the human spirit. We are motivated by a heart-felt desire for constructive change.
We recognize that real sustainability requires personal as well as cultural change, and that this change must be considered at a social, economic and environmental level.
Please follow this link to view the West Kootenay EcoSociety's Constitution and Bylaws
Terms of Employment: 30 hours per week, permanent
Compensation: Commensurate with qualifications
Application deadline: March 31, 2016
Location: Nelson, BC and surrounding area
West Kootenay EcoSociety seeks a passionate and experienced team player to lead our organization as Executive Director. Working with board, staff, and volunteers, the Executive Director will participate in long-term planning and oversee day to day operations including fundraising, project administration, operational and budget planning, staff supervision, and program evaluation.
- Develop, implement, evaluate, and adapt programs which implement the organization’s strategic plan
- Assist the Board of Directors in periodically evaluating and adapting the strategic plan
- Hire, train, evaluate and supervise staff as needed
- Promote West Kootenay EcoSociety’s initiatives as an ambassador and spokesperson
- Deliver timely and accurate financial and operational reports to the Board of Directors
- Research, write and submit funding proposals and reports
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to increase visibility and credibility
- Supervise implementation of the fundraising plan
- Work with staff and Board to develop and periodically review annual work plans and budgets
- At least 5 years of experience within the non-profit sector in a leadership capacity, preferably within the environmental field
- Completion of a degree in environmental studies, public administration or a related field
- Demonstrated interest in and passion for our work
- Track record of successful fundraising through grants, memberships, events, and other avenues
- Strong administrative skills including: meeting logistics, record keeping, budget management, and organizational skills
- Project management experience including overseeing contractors, budgets, and deliverables.
- Strong communication and engagement skills including: facilitating meetings, public speaking, coordinating volunteers, publicizing events and programs, managing website and social media
- Capable of completing assigned tasks on time and with minimal supervision
- Valid BC drivers’ license
- Applied knowledge of ecosystems and sensitive species in the West Kootenay area
- Applied knowledge of climate change and/or renewable energy policy
- Experience with grassroots organizing, including campaign planning and mobilization
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format by email to:
before March 31, 2016. Late submissions will not be accepted. We thank all those that apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.