1800 Watts of Freedom (Part 2)
Categories: Life Stories
I had taken a week off from work to give us time to do our real-estate closing, and initial move in and hoping to get things functioning enough for us to be comfortable. We had put most of our camping gear, portable generator and anything else we though we might need to get started into the storage units last, so everything was right out where we could get at it. As I mentioned before, the bank had agreed to bring back all the stuff that they had removed. We were given one final chance to view the property prior to signing the papers, and taking ownership. I think we did our walk thru at 11:00AM, and our closing was at like 12:15. (No big hurry)
When we got to the house, the property management people were there returning all the stuff. They had already unloaded the wood-stove, the backup generator, inverters and the pallet of 24 brand new batteries. The downside to all this being, all they did was put everything in the kitchen. And I mean everything, in a pile, in the kitchen. The refrigerator/freezer had been removed, but there had been no mention of the bank having it in storage. We assumed, and it did end up being the case, that the previous owners had taken the fridge with them when they left. We had already bought a new energy star rated fridge, which was scheduled to be delivered that same day. The only catch being the propane backup generator, which weighs around 800lbs, was now sitting in our kitchen, in the very spot that the fridge need to go. Thankfully, the appliance delivery guys helped us lift the generator, and get a couple of pieces of carpet under it, so we could slide it around on the hardwood floor. They brought in the new fridge, and off to closing we went. It was a pretty standard closing, other than the fact that we were buying the place outright with no financing.
By mid afternoon we were back at our new, and very cold, home. My wife and daughter made a few trips to the storage unit to get our bed, some sleeping bags, and any other stuff we thought we might need to get started. On our way home from closing, we stopped at a Tractor Supply, and bought a pallet of those bio-brick sawdust blocks to burn in the wood-stoves. Ever seen a Toyota Tundra with a ton of wood in the back???!!! The ironic part is, we sold our old house with a full winters firewood stacked in the basement. You just can't plan for everything. Anyhow, I checked the chimney for obstructions, and got the basement wood-stove fired up. If you've never tried it, it interesting to try to warm up a whole house that's been sitting unoccupied for years, and now in single digit temperatures. I also had a couple of those kerosene heaters that I put on the ground floor. The place started coming to life. There were lots of noises as things warmed up, and the frost went out of the wood.
We busied ourselves setting things up. We got our bed upstairs, and started moving things. The whole moving-in process took a long time. We had gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but you never really know how much stuff you have until you move. On to the great power fiasco…..
I had been calling all around, trying to get someone to start a propane contract with us, and deliver a tank. It's not like it was a new setup. All the lines were run, and there was a large cement pad for the tank to sit on. They say "cash is king" but I found that to some companies it just doesn't matter. After a week or so, I found a small company that was just starting up, and they were glad to have our business. They delivered the 500Gal tank, and filled it. The owner said it would be about a week before his one tech guy could check everything, and complete the hookup. Not the best situation, but at least we were moving forward. We use propane for a lot here. It runs our backup generator, our hot water heater, our dryer, our stove/oven, etc. We knew we'd have all this stuff going eventually, but we'd just have to get by.
We have a family friend named Tom, who has been living on solar power for years to at least some extent. He had designed and built his own system (and all of it's many incarnations) over the years. Tom was instrumental in putting our power system back together. We were fortunate to have found all the original tech manuals for the twin 2,400 watt inverter/chargers in the basement. Between the manuals, the length of all the battery connector cables, and the positions of all the micro switches on the inverters, we figured out how the original setup had been wired. It took the better part of a day to get all the new batteries in place, make all the connections, put the inverters back up and do the rest of the wiring. During this process, it became evident that the inverters had been removed with a pry bar, and handled pretty roughly by the property management crew, or as i came to refer to them, "the goon squad".
The inverters had some broken micro switches, bent lugs, twisted covers, and looked pretty rough on close examination. We wired up my small 4,200 watt portable generator temporarily to give us power for lights and stuff independent of the mains. I did this by making a double male ended heavy extension cord. (Disclaimer : This is a very DANGEROUS thing, and not something you would want to use under any normal circumstances). I plugged the generator into an outside outlet, and was able to isolate the stuff i didn't want to power, by turning off the main and several breakers. By doing this I know had 110 power to most of the lights and outlets. This also gave us lights in the basement to complete the rest of the re-installation. Once we got it all hooked up, we did several tests with a multimeter, making sure we hadn't made any mistakes, and we were ready for the big test.
We powered down the small generator, and removed the "death cord", and we began to bring things to life. We started out with the 110 stuff, lights, outlets, ceiling fans, etc. Then came the first big test…the water.